19 Feb Gossip may be good for happiness!
Gossip is a stress buster
Men gossip as much as women, but they spend more time talking about themselves. This is one of the findings from a study about the role of mobile telecommunications in the 21st century. The study, “Evolution, Alienation and Gossip” by the Social Issues Research Centre found gossip is not a trivial pastime and the mobile phone has become a vital social lifetime, helping us to recreate the more natural communication patterns of pre-industrial times.
Other key findings include:
– Mobile phones are the new garden fence, and let us to talk often.
– Men gossip as much as women: 33% indulge everyday or almost everyday.
– Women use their phones as a symbolic bodyguard, especially when feeling vulnerable in public space.
– Texting is important in maintaining a bond with a wide social network when we don”t have time to call.
– Texting helps teenagers overcome social awkwardness.
– Entertainment: Women are more skilled at making gossip entertaining with animated tone, lots of details and enthusiastic feedback.
Do you want more happiness? Get on the phone now…!