23 May Happiness is…learning lessons from life
What have you learned that could bring you more happiness?
In this morning's free eNewsletter I posted a great article from Leo Babuata (of Zen Habits fame) titled "38 Life Lessons I've learned in 38 Years".
It begins like this…
Post written by Leo Babauta.
Today (April 30) I turn 38 years old.
I’ve been on this earth for nearly four decades. Being in a city like Paris, where there are buildings that measure their age by the millennia, helps put that brief blink of the eye into perspective. But still, it amazes me that I’ve been around that long — I feel like I’ve barely begun.
I’m not usually one to make a big deal about my birthday, but as always, it has given me an opportunity to reflect. I thought I’d share a handful of lessons I’ve learned — as a helpful guide for those just starting out.
This post is for my children, whom I miss greatly across the distance of a continent and an ocean. I hope this will shine a dim light on the streets they have to navigate ahead of them, though I know they’ll still stumble as much as I have.
This is for you, Chloe, Justin, Rain, Maia, Seth and Noelle. I apologize for the length.
38 Lessons I’ve Learned in My 38 Years
1. Always swallow your pride to say you’re sorry. Being too proud to apologize is never worth it — your relationship suffers for no good benefit.
2. Possessions are worse than worthless — they’re harmful. They add no value to your life, and cost you everything. Not just the money required to buy them, but the time and money spent shopping for them, maintaining them, worrying about them, insuring them, fixing them, etc.
3. Slow down. Rushing is rarely worth it. Life is better enjoyed at a leisurely pace…
You can read the full article HERE
Following on from this I also posted a few of my own life lessons; things that from personal experience and readings in the field of positive psychology and happiness, I'm confident will enhance happiness and wellbeing in anyone…
Following on from Leo's great examples above, I'm happy to share with you some lessons I've learned over my years here on this earth…
1. Know who you are and be who you are
2. Look after who you are (there is, after all, only one you)
3. Focus on the best in who you are and use this for good
4. Focus on the best in others and respect them for who they are
5. Appreciate who you are and be grateful for what you have
6. Have fun and play (even if you're over the age of 8)!
But what I'd love to read are your life lessons; what have you learned in your years on this earth that you believe bring you, and might bring others more happiness? I invite you to share your thoughts on our Facebook Page. Thanks in advance… : )