07 May Dr Happy’s Top Ten Things To Do to Take Care of Yourself
from my free, Monday Morning eNewsletter (subscribe HERE)
Are you kinder to others than you are to yourself?
Do you take care of family, friends and maybe even colleagues more effectively than you take care of yourself?
If you’re like many of us; then the answer is probably YES!
Sadly, too many of us neglect our own care; and ultimately we pay the costs. Now we could explore all the various reasons for this but today I want to do something different; and something more practical.
So here’s my Top Ten List of Things to do to Take Care of Yourself (and feel free to add to it with anything else you’ve found works for you!):
- take care of your body with plenty of sleep and rest, and whatever exercise you can manage
- eat well and drink plenty of water
- accept what is and do what you can
- take time out (where and when you can)
- reach out and ask for help AND let others help you
- leave guilt aside (and if necessary, leave aside worrying, self-defeating thoughts)
- apply the same levels of compassion to yourself you would to others
- practice any meditation strategies that work for you
- know that whatever it is you’re struggling with will almost certainly pass
- don’t forget to allow yourself some pleasure/fun if at all possible!
In my experience, when I most need to take care of myself I am, by definition, most unable to think about doing what I need to do. So I’ve found it helpful to do some of the above by default; even if I don’t want to or even if I don’t think they’ll be helpful (they usually are). I’ve also found that other people (especially my wife) are usually able to think much more clearly in these situations so I will defer to their recommendations over my feelings.
…So that’s today’s mailing. Take some time to reflect upon the message and how it might apply to you. Check out, also, the links below for some additional readings and resources.
I hope it helps you enjoy some more happiness. Until next time…
Keep well & keep smiling
Tim Sharp (aka Dr Happy)