17 Sep Boost your happiness by regularly going on adventures!
From my weekly, free eNewsletter…
by Dr Tim Sharp (aka Dr Happy)
There are so many things we can do to boost our happiness and enhance the quality of our lives…
…but sadly, many of us either don’t know about them, forget about them, or write them off as inappropriate or too difficult!
One of the ones that falls in to the final category is … going on adventures!
Going on adventures increases our wellbeing and happiness in many ways including:
- providing an escape from the routine and sometimes monotony of every day life
- increasing our empathy for those who’re different to us
- utilising parts of our thinking required for coping with new and different situations, parts of our cognition we often don’t use because we’re mostly in familiar surroundings
- relaxation and rejuvination
- excitement and stimulation
- potentially changing our lives by giving us opportunities to try completely new things
- and strengthening our relationships with loved ones by bringing you closer together and providing you with shared, positive experiences
Despite this, many people see adventures as too difficult, too expensive and/or too time consuming!
And they can be; but they don’t have to be!
Adventures can be overseas holidays; overseas trips to exotic locations. But adventures can also be trying a new cafe; visiting a new suburb in your city; doing something a tourist would do in your home town; and/or just hopping on a random train/bus/ferry and getting off somewhere you’ve never been.
You can have an adventure even just a few hundred metres from your home or work!
…So that’s today’s mailing. Take some time to reflect upon the message and how it might apply to you. Check out, also, the links below for some additional readings and resources.
I hope it helps you enjoy some more happiness. Until next time…
Keep well & keep smiling
Tim Sharp (aka Dr Happy)