29 May How to Make Friends with Your Inner Imposter
via the Harvard Business Review by Amantha Imber
Summary: Imposter syndrome is the persistent, nagging thought that tells us that we are undeserving of our achievements. If you have ever felt that way, you’re not alone. Through the many conversations Amantha Imber has had with guests on her podcast, she has learned that no matter how competent or successful people are, many still continue to feel the same insecurities and fears. But unlike many of us, they have figured out ways to channel their emotions into something productive. Here’s how:
- Interpret self-doubt as a positive emotion. Instead of shying away from experiences that trigger your doubt, deliberately embrace them and remember it that it’s only through challenges that we can improve.
- Stop trying to be the smartest person in the room. Instead of obsessing about how others will view you, try to remove your self-censorship. It will only get in the way of your learning.
- Don’t shy away from failure, even if it scares you. When reviewing opportunities to throw yourself into, ask yourself why you’re afraid of them. Are you hesitating to take something on because you are worried about failure?
- Don’t run away from negative feedback. Embrace it. Remind yourself that it’s only negative feedback — not positive — that helps you figure out how to grow and improve. close
Almost 20 years ago, I received a phone call that changed my life.
“Congratulations! You’ve been accepted into the Doctorate of Organizational Psychology program at Monash University.”
“There must have been an administrative error,” I thought to myself. Surely, I was too young, inexperienced, and unknowledgeable to be accepted. Or was I?
Turns out, there wasn’t an error. I really did get in, and a little under three years later, I went on to become the youngest graduate from the program. Today, I’m an organizational psychologist, and I run Inventium, a behavioral science consultancy that aims to help people perform better and be happier at work. I also host the podcast “How I Work,” where I interview CEOs, entrepreneurs, writers, and performers to unpack what that has led them to success.
Through the many conversations I’ve had with people from all walks of life, I’ve learned that I’m not alone in my experience with imposter syndrome — the persistent, nagging thought that tells us that we are undeserving of our achievements. Scientific research has found that up to 82% of people experience imposter syndrome. The other 18% are probably too scared to admit it.
The guests I’ve interviewed for my podcast back me up. No matter how competent or successful they are, I’m often shocked at how many of them continue to feel the same insecurities and fears I felt the day I got my acceptance letter to Monash (even when they become CEOs and land deals). But unlike many of us, they have figured out ways to channel their emotions into something productive. And that means we can do it, too.
Here are four things I’ve learned about how to use imposter syndrome as a force for good…
… keep reading the full & original article HERE